ColombiaAmericas News May 13, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Colombia RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America to go further Receive email alerts Organisation ColombiaAmericas Reports RSF_en Germán Hernández Vera, the editor of the regional Diario del Huila daily newspaper in the southwestern city of Neiva, has been forced to flee the region after receiving death threats. It is the second case of this kind since the start of the year. Hernández had been working on a local corruption case. Reporters Without Borders extends him its support. RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies October 21, 2020 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders voiced dismay today that Germán Hernández Vera, the managing editor of the regional Diario del Huila daily newspaper in the southwestern city of Neiva, was forced to flee the region this month after being repeatedly threatened. It is the second case of forced flight by a journalist since the start of the year (see release of 19 March).“Hernández’s case once again highlights the virtual impossibility for the Colombian press to operate and cover sensitive subjects in certain parts of the country,” the press freedom organisation said. “We regret that the local authorities in Huila did not react more quickly and we hope an investigation will be carried out to identify the source of the threats against him, especially as he was working on a subject with no direct link to the civil war.”A court and crime reporter, Hernández has been Diario del Huila’s managing editor for the past four years. On 15 February, he ran a story about the embezzlement of around 4 million euros within the main Neiva hospital. He received an anonymous call on his mobile phone on 27 February saying: “You are going to die, son of a bitch.” Hernández and his colleagues quickly established that the call was made via a telephone exchange located opposite the newspaper.The staff immediately reported the incident to the local police, which took no action. Hernández then contacted the intelligence agency known as the Department for Security Administration (DAS), which linked the threats to the 15 February story. Then, on 28 February, he began receiving constant calls on his mobile phone from public call boxes warning him that he would die soon.He fled the region on 13 March, although his departure was only reported 12 days later. He said he would not return to Huila without receiving guarantees for his security, but he promised to continue to work while in hiding.The department of Huila is one of the regions that has been most affected by the civil war. Neiva mayor Cielo González Villa was this month the target of two bombings within the space of 72 hours. One, on 22 March outside radio HJ Doble K, left 10 people wounded. The authorities said there was a detachment of guerrillas from the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) in the city. The FARC are very active in the region. Diario del Huila and another daily, La Nación, both receive police protection as they are the targets of threats. March 27, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Second case this year of journalist forced to flee by threats Help by sharing this information News April 27, 2021 Find out more
10 Views no discussions Tweet Share Sharing is caring! HealthLifestyleNewsRegional PAHO trains health professionals to better detect, treat Zika-related illnesses by: Caribbean Media Corporation – September 2, 2016 Share Share BRIDGETOWN, Barbados (CMC) — Caribbean health professionals are ending a two-day workshop here on Friday on the clinical management of severe neurological complications related to Zika virus, such as Guillain-Barré syndrome.“The workshop aims to build the capacity of health professionals in the Caribbean so that they are better prepared to detect and treat patients with Guillain-Barré Syndrome,” said Godfrey Xuereb, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) representative in Barbados and Eastern Caribbean countries.Based on scientific research, PAHO said there is a consensus that the Zika virus can trigger Guillain-Barré syndrome.PAHO has said that 45 countries in the Americas, including the Caribbean, have reported transmission of the disease since the Zika virus was detected in Brazil in May 2015.PAHO said several countries have reported severe neurological cases associated with infection by the virus, mainly transmitted by the bite of an infected aedes aegypti mosquito.Since June 2016, the number of cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome has been increasing in the Caribbean.For this reason, PAHO said it is working to expand and strengthen the professional capacity to provide adequate medical attention to these cases.PAHO said new World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for clinical management of patients with Guillain-Barré syndrome will be outlined in the meeting, focusing on practical approaches to implementation in different countries.PAHO said participants in the workshop are expected to return home and lead the process of developing locally adapted protocols to improve the clinical management of severe neurological cases involving Zika virus in their countries.Guillain-Barré syndrome is a rare condition in which the patient’s immune system attacks the peripheral nerves.PAHO said people of all ages can be affected, but added that it is most common in adults and males.In 20 per cent to 25 per cent of cases, PAHO said the chest muscles are affected, making breathing difficult. The majority of those affected, even the most severely, fully recover, PAHO said.“We’ve brought experts at the highest level so that Caribbean clinicians are better prepared to provide the care required for a person with a severe neurological disorder,” said Pilar Ramón Pardo, PAHO’s chief of operations for the Zika Emergency Response.“These patients represent the most severe cases of infection Zika. They require a complex level of attention and care to prevent complications and speed their recovery.”PAHO said the experts participating in the workshop include neuro-epidemiologist James Sejvar, of the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and neurologist Javier Carod-Artal, of the NHS Highland Raigmore Hospital, Inverness, United Kingdom. Both are members of the group that developed the WHO guidelines.Also teaching are: Dr Rodrigo Salinas, of the University of Chile, who has extensive experience in neurological complications due to Zika virus, and Professor Federico Montero, a specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University of Costa Rica, who addresses the key issues in patient improvement and recovery.The workshop is part of a series of training activities initiated in May this year, where health professionals from 16 Caribbean countries were oriented in the clinical management of Zika virus infection during pregnancy, PAHO said.
The Club Licensing Board has revoked the License of Liberty Professionals FC for the use of the Carl Reindorf, Dansoman with immediate effect.This decision was taken at a meeting of the Committee held on Monday, January 20 following the Club’s inability to rectify the infrastructural challenges based on which they were granted a provisional license with conditions, failing which the license shall be withdrawn.After its inspection on Monday January 20, the Board observed that Liberty Professionals failed to effect the required changes before the deadline given earlier.Liberty Professionals are therefore advised to contact the Competitions Department of the GFA on the choice of an alternative venue from the list of approved Premier League match venues.The Club is also advised to reapply for a license to use the Carl Reindorf Park should they correct the defects. Source: Ghana FA