Tag: 夜上海论坛AQ

  • SMC senior tackles cross country ride

    first_imgSaint Mary’s senior Sarah Eisenberg, along with 24 other individuals, will embark on a cross-country bike tour this summer sponsored by the non-profit organization Illini 4000 for Cancer. The 75-day tour will kick off on May 22 in New York City and will end on July 31st in San Francisco. “The organization is run out of the University of Illinois,” Eisenberg, a native of Tinley Park, Ill., said. “It started in the fall of 2006 and the first summer bike ride was in the summer of 2007. Its basic mission is to end the fight against cancer.” No individual is immune from the effects of cancer, Eisenberg said. “Cancer takes the lives of so many far too soon, leaving family, friends and all of those that come in contact with the person heartbroken,” she said. Eisenberg said she first heard of the annual bike ride last July and instantly thought of her two grandmothers who both lost their battle with the disease. “My Grandma Eisenberg, who I was extremely close with, was diagnosed with melanoma about five years ago,” Eisenberg said. “My sophomore year of college [in 2011] she was diagnosed with leukemia as well. These two cancers were just a lethal combination and she died four weeks after her diagnosis. My other grandma, Grandma Keller, lost her five year battle with lung cancer in June of that same year. These were two very poignant women in my life and their deaths were earth-shattering to my entire family.” The organization requires each biker to raise a minimum of $3,000, Eisenberg said. Overall the Illini 4000 for Cancer would like to raise $100,000. “Both my hometown and the larger Saint Mary’s-Notre Dame communities have been very monetarily supportive,” Eisenberg said. “So far, I have raised $7,000. I even received a large donation from Stach & Lui, an information technology company in San Francisco. I’ll be wearing their logo across the country.” Before she signed up for the cross-country tour, Eisenberg said she had never really biked. With the help of Lisa and Greg Mueller, local triathlon athletes, Eisenberg said her training is running very smoothly. “The camaraderie and helpfulness I have encountered with my training here in South Bend has been absolutely incredible,” Eisenberg said. “Our cyclist instructor at Saint Mary’s introduced me to the Mueller’s and they have created weekly work out plans for me. Lisa is also a nutritionist and she has been very helpful with my training.” Eisenberg said her days will begin at 6:30 a.m. every morning and each day will consist of about 5 hours of cycling. “We’ll wake up and start cycling for about three hours,” Eisenberg said. “We will then stop for lunch. After lunch we will continue cycling for another two hours until we reach our destination for the night. Different colleges, churches and community centers will be hosting us overnight.” Along the way, the group will be stopping at different cancer wards and hospitals to gain a better understanding of cancer research, said Eisenberg. “I know we are visiting the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota for sure,” Eisenberg said. “We will be documenting the entire trip and will be meeting with different hospital personnel and cancer patients. We really want to get to know what it is like to be a cancer patient here in America.” Eisenberg said she believes new research in the field looks promising. “All I really want to do with this bike ride is raise some funds and awareness,” Eisenberg said. “If I am able to give one cancer patient one more day with his or her family than that is enough for me.” Eisenberg realizes this journey will be difficult at times, but said the difficulty will be nothing compared to what cancer patients have to encounter every day. “We literally will be traveling uphill at times, but I am always going to remember cancer patients are riding uphill every day and it is not their choice,” Eisenberg said. “Remembering this will keep me pushing to reach my goal. It will get me across the country.”last_img read more

  • JTF-Bravo Assets Return from Guatemala, Continue Relief Support in Honduras

    first_imgBy U.S. Air Force Captain Rachel Salpietra/Joint Task Force Bravo December 07, 2020 A task force of approximately 25 people and three aircraft assigned to the 1st Battalion, 228th Aviation Regiment, Joint Task Force Bravo (JTF-Bravo) returned to Honduras from Guatemala City, Guatemala, on November 28.Their return comes after the U.S. military personnel rapidly deployed to Guatemala City for a second time on November 21 to assist local government officials in rescue and recovery efforts and the distribution of immediate life-saving humanitarian assistance goods, such as food, and humanitarian commodities such as plastic sheeting and hygiene kits.“I’ve been extremely impressed with our team in Guatemala,” said U.S. Army Colonel John D. Litchfield, JTF-Bravo commander. “They’ve done a lot with a small team. Our ability to help our partners save lives is dependent on our enduring relationships in the region and the willingness of individuals to step up and do great deeds. I couldn’t be more proud.”In total, between both hurricanes Eta and Iota, the task force rescued 62 Guatemalan citizens, transported 26 rescue workers to communities cut off by the impact of the disaster, delivered 128,650 pounds of life-saving aid, and delivered 142,860 pounds of relief supplies in support of the USAID-led humanitarian response.“This was an amazing example of an interagency and multinational effort,” said  U.S. Army Colonel Michael Burgoyne, the senior Defense official in Guatemala. “Team DoD [Department of Defense] Guatemala and USAID worked hand in hand with CONRED [Guatemala’s National Coordinator for Disaster Reduction] and our Guatemalan military partners. The presence of Salvadoran and Colombian aircraft also speaks to the regional team that came together to support the Guatemalan people.”U.S. military forces that support the immediate-response and relief efforts do so at the request of USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance and in coordination with the partner nation and United Nation agencies. In this situation, Guatemala requested the unique personnel and capabilities to help transport relief supplies to communities that were initially cut off by Hurricane Eta, and later Hurricane Iota.As floodwaters start to recede and roads reopen, the main efforts supported by the U.S. military have transitioned to the government of Guatemala, as well as international organizations and nongovernmental organizations. Members of USAID’s Disaster Assistance Response Team remain in Guatemala to lead the U.S. humanitarian response efforts.The crews that were supporting immediate response efforts in Guatemala are transitioning to support USAID and the continued response in heavily affected areas in Honduras.Many areas in Honduras remain either overtaken by slow to recede flood waters or are susceptible to mudslides and other post-hurricane related issues.As with Guatemala, all U.S. military actions in response to relief efforts for Hurricanes Eta and Iota in Honduras remain at the request of USAID and in close coordination with the Honduran government.last_img read more

  • GOVERNMENT WON’T ANNOUNCE WATER CHARGES UNTIL AFTER ELECTIONS – TD

    first_imgDonegal Deputy Charlie McConalogue has accused the Government of putting politics before people by refusing to disclose the extent of water charges facing Donegal households. The Fianna Fáil TD claims the Government is delaying the announcement on water charge amounts in order to salvage votes in the upcoming local and European elections.“It is disgraceful that Donegal households, who are trying to manage their budgets, are still being left in the dark about the water charges that will kick in from October. This secrecy is completely unnecessary. The only logic for refusing to be upfront with households is that Fine Gael and Labour are afraid it will lose them more votes in May,” said Deputy McConalogue. “This has become about the Government parties trying to save their own skin and avoid having to answer more questions ahead of polling day on May 23rd. Meanwhile, families across Co Donegal are left unable to work out their household budgets.“It’s an added insult to Donegal households who will soon be clocking up charges for a completely inadequate water service. Many communities across this county have been plagued by poor water quality and are regularly subjected to boil water notices. How are they expected to pay hefty charges for this poor service?“Approximately €800 million of taxpayers’ money has been spent on setting up the Government’s new Super Quango Irish Water, paying for exorbitant consultancy fees, staff bonuses and perks, and on installing water meters. Not one cent has been spent on the water system. It’s proof that the Government’s claim about this being all about an improved service is completely bogus.“Far from upgrading our water supply, the entire focus of the Government and Irish Water has been on setting up a corporate entity to charge people. The only thing that Donegal households are getting in return is charges – not any improvement in service. “I am calling on Fine Gael and Labour representatives across Co Donegal to start being upfront with people about the charges that are coming down the line. I am also calling on them to ensure that any significant problems with the local water supply are fixed before people are expected to pay for their water,” said Deputy McConalogue. GOVERNMENT WON’T ANNOUNCE WATER CHARGES UNTIL AFTER ELECTIONS – TD was last modified: April 11th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConaloguedonegalTDwater chargeslast_img read more