Tag: 夜上海论坛ED

  • Experts warn of turbulent ‘new normal’ amid COVID-19 data, testing issues

    first_imgTopics : LaporCovid-19 had recorded at least 5,021 deaths among suspected cases by May 29, comprising 4,814 deaths among patients under surveillance (PDP) and 207 deaths among persons under monitoring (ODP). Along with the 1,503 deaths among confirmed cases, Indonesia’s cumulative total was at least 6,232 deaths by May 29.“Based on the data we gathered from 479 regencies across 34 provinces, the number of deaths among suspected [cases] have far surpassed the number of deaths among confirmed cases. Seventy-seven percent of all deaths [occurred] among suspected cases,” Irma said. Read also: 102 areas with zero COVID-19 cases allowed to start ‘new normal’Irma continued that the official government data contradicted the data of individual regions and merely illustrated the tip of the iceberg, and stressed that the lack of data transparency remained a major problem ahead of moving toward the government’s “new normal” framework. Experts and volunteers with the LaporCovid-19 (Report Covid-19) community movement have warned of a potentially tumultuous “new normal” period following the easing of the large-scale restrictions (PSBB), pointing to the country’s numerous issues in data gathering, testing capacity and risk perception. These factors are essential to ensuring a safe post-epidemic environment for resuming economic and social activities.LaporCovid19 spokesperson Irma Hidayana said on Sunday that Indonesia’s COVID-19 data did not live up to the World Health Organization (WHO) standards. In particular, the government had not taken into account the number of deaths among suspected COVID-19 cases, which comprised the majority of coronavirus-related deaths in the country.center_img “Take North Sumatra, for example. On May 29, the provincial administration updated its data, which now includes the number of [suspected COVID-19] deaths. As a result, the number of deaths linked to COVID-19 in the region has shot up to more than 150,” she said.The government must incorporate deaths among suspected cases to fill the holes in its COVID-19  data before ushering in sweeping changes to establish “the new normal”, she said.“The public deserves to know the true scale of the emergency,” Irma said, and that the government’s daily updates on COVID-19 cases was “simply insufficient to fully capture the gravity of the situation”. Executive director Elisa Sutanudjaja of the Rujak Center for Urban Studies concurred with Irma, saying that several regions had rushed to lift the PSBB despite questionable data on COVID-19 transmission and poor public compliance with physical distancing measures.Read also: Dentists continue services via teledentistry and with tighter protocols“It remains to be seen whether [these] regional administrations, such as Makassar in South Sulawesi, Tegal in Central Java and Palangkaraya in Central Kalimantan, had conducted epidemiological studies [with] health experts and sociologists prior to ending the PSBB,” Elisa said during the same event.The three regions she referred to had all lifted the PSBB just a few days ahead of Idul Fitri, which fell on May 24-25.The Palangkaraya administration last week implemented more lenient restrictions at the subdistrict level to replace the PSBB, which it said had yielded lackluster results. At least 15 new COVID-19 cases have since been reported in the region following the measure.Over the past few weeks, the central government has called for its citizens to adapt to what it refers to as “the new normal” as it looks to relax restrictions and reopen businesses under strict health protocols. Coordinating Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto earlier claimed that several regions had shown a decline in COVID-19 transmissions and suggested that they might be ready to welcome the “new normal” phase. The regions he mentioned included Jakarta, the epicenter of the Indonesian outbreak.[RA::With policy flip-flops, ‘new normal’ looks gloomy for Indonesiahttps://www.thejakartapost.com/academia/2020/05/19/with-policy-flip-flops-new-normal-looks-gloomy-for-indonesia.html]University of Padjajaran epidemiologist Panji Hadisoemarto said, however, that it was simply “impossible” to determine whether the timing was right for Indonesia to enter the “new normal” phase, as the country lacked the testing capacity that was critical to making such a determination.“Our testing capacity is currently at 10,000 [test] per day, which still falls short of the capacity of other countries that have entered a ‘new normal’ period,” said Panji.As for the situation in Jakarta, he warned that new clusters of infection and wider community transmission could occur leading up to June 4, when the PSBB in the capital would end.June 4 is also the expected starting date of the “new normal” phase.“We have to be careful, as the end of the current PSBB period in Jakarta will occur about one week following the high movement of individuals recorded over Idul Fitri, [and] which is when new cases might be reported,” Panji said.Read also: ‘New normal’ aims to keep economy running: MinisterSociologist Sulfikar Amir at the Nanyang University of Singapore said that the successful rollout of the “new normal” phase would also hinge on the perceived risks of the pandemic among the public.He said risk perception – an individual’s subjective impression of perceived threats to themselves or their environment – was highly dependent on the government’s ability to provide credible information that fully illustrated the COVID-19 health crisis.“As more people perceive the dangers of COVID-19, they will try and adopt what we call ‘safe behavior’ to avoid contracting the disease, which will in turn  contribute greatly to flattening the curve of transmission,” Sulfikar said.He also noted that risk perception would vary depending on an individual’s socioeconomic condition.As of Tuesday, the government’s official count recorded 27,549 confirmed cases and 1,663 deaths.last_img read more

  • Cleverley boosts Villa survival

    first_img The goal sapped West Ham’s confidence and highlighted why they have not won on the road in the league since beating West Brom 2-1 in December. They tried to unsettle Villa with their physicality – Amalfitano was involved in a spat with Cleverley – but the hosts remained calm. Boss Sam Allardyce reacted by replacing the ineffective Kevin Nolan and Amalfitano with Alex Song and Nene at the break. And instantly the visitors were brighter and Nene drilled over from 25-yards on 50 minutes as they searched for the equaliser. It was a warning for Villa and N’Zogbia hit the side netting four minutes later but the Hammers were noticeably brighter. Given turned Collins’ header over on 59 minutes as they began to see more of the ball with Villa struggling to recreate their first half dominance. Valencia had the ball in the net with 24 minutes left, heading in Downing’s cross, but was offside as Villa’s nerves grew and they began to sit deeper. Gabby Agbonlahor replaced N’Zogbia as Sherwood looked for another outlet and Villa almost added to their lead at the death. Ashley Westwood scuffed a shot wide with five minutes left and Agbonlahor wasted a golden chance in injury time to seal it. The substitute raced onto a long ball with Reece Burke covering but the Villa man still managed to get a shot away with just Adrian to beat but fired wide. Adrian also denied Cleverley, beating the midfielder’s 20-yard effort away, as Villa clinched the points. The midfielder scored his third goal in three games to move Villa four points clear of the Barclays Premier League drop zone in a pulsating relegation scrap. Sunderland’s early win at Everton had piled the pressure on Tim Sherwood’s side but they kept their cool during a composed first half to wrap up the points. Tom Cleverley handed Aston Villa a massive survival boost as they hung on to beat West Ham 1-0. Press Association Villa are 14th with just two games left but hold a crucial cushion over Hull, who occupy the final drop spot, after the Tigers lost at home to Burnley – who were relegated. Uninspiring West Ham offered little but Shay Given did have to tip James Collins’ header over in the second half as their wait for an away win continues. Both sides were unchanged as the Hammers chased their first away league victory in 11 games but it was Villa who made the brighter start. Leandro Bacuna had Adrian scrambling with a free kick which whistled over before the keeper pushed Cleverley’s smart volley away after 12 minutes. Christian Benteke, April’s Barclays Premier League Player of the Month, then missed his kick from Jores Okore’s knockdown. In contrast, the Hammers failed to find any early rhythm as Ron Vlaar and Okore kept lone frontman Enner Valencia quiet. Morgan Amalfitano and Stewart Downing also failed to threaten with the Hammers looking one-dimensional and Villa took advantage as Jack Grealish conjured up some magic to gift Cleverley the opener. Charles N’Zogbia found Grealish on the left and the 19-year-old tricked his way to the byline, brushing off a half-hearted challenge from Downing, to square for Cleverley to tap in from four yards. last_img read more

  • Kawhi Leonard leads Clippers to win over Magic

    first_imgLandry Shamel and Montrezl Harrell scored 19 points each for the Clippers and Lou Williams added 15.Leonard also had 14 rebounds, leading Los Angeles to a 53-45 advantage.Michael Carter-Williams came off the bench to lead Orlando with 15 points. Nikola Vucevic added 13 for the Magic, who have lost five of six. They shot 35.4 percent for the game.“We missed shots and it sapped our energy,” Magic coach Steve Clifford said. “Our lack of shooting really impacted our defensive mentality and we can’t play that way.”Related Articles “It was a tough night for both teams, both coaches. You could just feel the game didn’t have a lot of energy in it,” Rivers said. “We told our guys, you want to honor (Bryant), go win the game, and they did that.“We’re not prepared for this, none of us were. A lot of relationships Kobe had with guys in our locker room. I was worried. I didn’t know if our guys could get through it.”No Clippers were available after the game, but Magic forward Aaron Gordon expressed the players’ point of view.“It was just hard, but at the end of the day we’ve got to go out there and do our job,” Gordon said. “It’s what he would have wanted.”Leonard scored seven straight points for the Clippers in the big third quarter to help Los Angeles stretch a four-point lead to 10. For Lakers’ LeBron James, Jacob Blake’s shooting is bigger issue than a big Game 4 victory Orlando led 37-26 after starting the second quarter on a 9-0 spurt. Williams’ three free throws started a 21-8 run that pulled the Clippers ahead, and Leonard’s scoring burst in the third quarter helped them expand their lead to 19.The Magic didn’t get closer than seven again.It was the Clippers’ 13th straight win over the Magic.TIP-INSClippers: Williams (11 points) and Harrell (6) were the only Clippers to score in a first-half stretch of more than 10 minutes. … F Paul George missed a ninth straight game with a hamstring injury. … G Patrick Beverley sat out a third straight game with a groin injury.Magic: G D.J. Augustin missed a seventh game with a left knee injury. … F Maurice Harkless, who started for the Clippers, was in the Magic’s starting lineup on Nov. 6, 2013, the last time they beat the Clippers. Game 4 photos: Luka Doncic, Mavs shock Clippers in overtime Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorcenter_img What the Clippers are saying the day after Luka Doncic’s game-winner tied series, 2-2 Clippers hope they can play to their capabilities, quell Mavericks’ momentum ORLANDO, Fla. — The Clippers won a game nobody wanted to play.The tipoff was less than four hours after the Clippers and Orlando Magic learned of the death of former NBA great Kobe Bryant at the age of 41.“Sometimes the stage is the best place to get away from reality,” observed Clippers coach Doc Rivers. “I thought our guys had a two-hour break from an emotional day.”Kawhi Leonard scored 15 of his 31 points in a big third quarter and the Clippers won 112-97 for their sixth victory in seven games. Clippers’ Paul George: ‘If I make shots, this series could be a little different’ last_img read more

  • Bayern Munich want Tottenham boss Pochettino to replace under-fire Niko Kovac

    first_imgBAYERN MUNICH are eyeing Mauricio Pochettino as a replacement for Niko Kovac, according to reports.Poch’s long-term future in north London has been called into question following Tottenham’s shaky start to the season.2 Mauricio Pochettino has been tipped to replace the Croatian managerAccording to Sport1, the Argentine tactician has caught the interest of the Bundesliga giants.Pochettino admitted for the first time his job is under threat – but insisted he will not go grey worrying about.Spurs are eight points adrift of the top four after picking up just 12 points from their first 10 league games.LADBROKES 1-2-FREE Simply predict Chelsea, Palace vs Leicester and Spurs scores this coming weekend and win £100But the squad showed their support for the under-fire boss by treating him to a slap-up meal in Mayfair this week.And Dele Alli has claimed the team are “1,000 per cent” behind the 47-year-old.Despite the poor form of late, the Tottenham boss has been widely praised for his work with Spurs since he joined in 2014.MOST READ IN SPORT THROUGH ITRobbie Keane reveals Claudine’s father was ’50-50′ in coronavirus battle’I ACCEPT’McGregor accepts Silva fight at UFC catchweight of 176lbs in huge super-fightTOP SELLERGavin Whelan has gone from League of Ireland to David Beckham’s InstagramPicturedA CUT ABOVEMike Tyson shows two-inch cut ‘picked up in training’ ahead of boxing returnExclusiveRIYAD RAIDMan City’s Riyad Mahrez has three luxury watches stolen in £500,000 raidPicturedAN EYEFULMeet Playboy model and football agent Anamaria Prodan bidding to buy her own clubI SAW ROORodallega saw Rooney ‘drinking like madman’ & Gerrard ‘on bar dancing shirtless’NEXT STEPJonny Hayes set to move to English Championship having been let go by CelticIT’S…NOT TOMMY BOWETommy Bowe discovers someone has been impersonating him on TinderMAC DADDYTriple H wants McGregor v McMahon with winner getting rights to billionaire strutAnd that has made him a worthy contender to replace struggling Kovac in Germany.Despite leading Bayern to the Bundesliga title last season, the 48-year-old’s position has come under scrutiny this season.Former RB Leipzig boss Ralf Rangnick has also been linked to the job.2Pochettino assesses his team’s performance after 2-1 loss to Liverpoollast_img read more